Tuesday, June 19, 2007

"It Is Often Best to Keep the Lights Off"

If you haven't had the misfortune of reading the latest sniveling piece of crap column from Richard Cohen of the Washington Times Post, do yourself a favor and skip straight ahead to the brutal smackdown he receives from Glenn Greenwald over at Salon.

It's worth a look. This may be the worst column the supposedly-liberal Cohen has ever written -- it's a pathetic plea for mercy for poor, little treasonous Scooter Libby, one that features a fitting motto for the Bush-era press: "it is often best to keep the lights off" -- and as a result, Greenwald's rebuttal is one of his best.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

If I were not so thoroughly anti-anti-semitic, I might imagine the shadow of AIPAC cast in defense of a lot of seriously bad ideas.

Otto Man said...

I'm amazed Cohen is even in the business of journalism if he thinks the media should adopt a "don't ask don't tell" policy to politics. I always knew he was a douchebag, but this is stunning.

Noah said...

Cohen is as transparent as my windshield. No...never mind...my windshield is made of GM's polarized glass, so I guess my windshield is less transparent.

Mainstream media's role has diminished to that of "enabling," as Greenwald points out. But is that role of critical analysis being replaced by prominent bloggers? I think it is to a pretty high degree, especially among Dems who seem to take advantage of the medium more, and more critically.

Anonymous said...

He was just like totally being sarcastic and y'all just missed it. Face! Advantage Cohen!

Otto Man said...

Cohen did a chat at the WaPo site today. He got reamed, but gave some really nice, snide answers in return. What a douchewad.