Friday, November 17, 2006

Friday Random Ten

There's nothing like seeing the eyes of a child delighted by the magical whimsy of music. And, indeed, this album is nothing like that.

I don't have much to add about this trainwreck, except for my fervent hope that that man is Deborah's father.

We might as well just move along to the Friday Random Ten.

1. Dead Kennedys, "Kill the Poor" -- One of Jello Biafra's subtler songs. I guess the ham-handed politics aren't surprising when you realize he wrote "California Über Alles" to mock the evil, right-wing, fascist tendencies of, uh ... Jerry Brown. Seriously? Governor Moonbeam? OK, then. 5/10

2. The Red Paintings, "Mad World" -- One of the many cover versions of the Tears for Fears classic. It's not the most well-known -- that would be the Sacre cover from the Donnie Darko soundtrack (and some new XBox ad, I think?) -- but all things considered it's almost as good. A little more emotion, but still in the creepy acoustic mood. Very nice. 8/10

3. Lou Rawls, "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine" -- What a great fucking song. Not much to add about this, except if you watch the commentary tracks for the movie Anchorman, you'll be treated to a ten-minute segment where they ignore the movie and just interview Lou Rawls. He spends half his time wondering why the hell he's there. Hilarious. 9/10

4. Thom Yorke, "Black Swan" -- This is from his recent solo album, which I found pretty underwhelming. This is one of the better tracks, one that sounds like a leftover song from Kid A. Eh. 4/10

5. San Francisco Seals, "Don't Underestimate Me" -- Some rollicking indie rock from Barbara Manning. Nothing too spectacular, but solid enough. 6/10

6. Groove Armada, "My Friend" -- I think I'd like this little bit of technopop a bit more if it wasn't currently being used in 90% of the ads on TV. They're approaching Bob Seger levels of commerical overexposure. 5/10

7. Modest Mouse, "Bukowski" -- I've never actually read a single thing by Charles Bukowski and I can't say that this song makes me want to dive into his realm of assholery. Great tune, though. 8/10

8. Nina Simone, "See-Line Woman" -- Sweet. If I had to pick a paragon of musical coolness, Nina Simone would be at the top of my list. She could do it all, from heartbreaking ballads to funky soul numbers like this one. Such a great song I'm tempted to take the score up to eleven, but I'll respect the system. For now. 10/10

9. The Fugees, "Take It Easy" -- Well, there's a coincidence. Right after Nina Simone, I get a little bit of Lauryn Hill, a later-generation badass who once crooned, "So while you imitatin' Al Capone / I be Nina Simone and defecating on your microphone." One of the Fugees lesser songs, though. 5/10

10. Ray Charles, "What I'd Say?" -- I know this is a standard and one most folks might consider tired, but give it another listen. The organ work is absolutely blistering. I know subjects of Oscar-winning biopics aren't usually deemed cool, but I can live with your scorn. 8/10

Well, that gives me a 6.8 average. That means I'm more than two-thirds cool! I bet I could make Deborah happy. Well, two-thirds happy. Bemused, I guess.

Alright, let's see what you've got. Feel free to drop your own FRT in the comments, with or without the coolness self-audit. Or just mock me for my Bizzaro Ratings where the DKs aren't cool and Ray Charles is.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soul Parade at LLPON today. Soooooo-weet. Lou Rawls, Lauren Hill, and Ray Charles AND Nina Simone!

Play the "what if . . ." game and get those 4 sharing leads on a hot tune. I can't decide which combinations of duetss would sound best. Nina & Ray intrigues.

Noah said...

Wife AND kid are sick today with the stomach flu, so my FRT goes a little like this:

1) BRRRRMMMMMLLLPPHHH
2) P-b-p-b-p-b-p-t-t-t-tht..
3) Squish
4) HYYYUUURRRGGGHHHHH

etc. etc. etc.

TravisG said...

I love that Lou Rawls song. He sings like such a gentleman, despite his palpable pain.

You know what other song is great, and I always associate with that one, is "Just Once," by Jeffrey Osborne: "I did my best, but I guess my best wasn't good enough, 'cause here we are back where we were before..."

Otto Man said...

And now I've got "Just Once" stuck in my head. Damn you, Travis! Only a slow dance will get it out.

Anonymous said...

OM-

I'll make it worse: The movie, Last American Virgin, where he drives around despondently at trhe end of the movie, after seeing his dream girl in the arms of the cad who knocked her up and left her high and dry to handle the abortion that he took her to.

And the song playing . . . Just Once, by Mr. Ingram (I believe it was James Ingram, not Jeffrey Osboune. Pardon my pedantry).

. . . make the magic LAST for more than just one night . . .

Anonymous said...

Bwahahahahahahahahah!!!

My eeeeeevil plan is working to perrrrrrrrrfection.

Mr Furious said...

I got the cure for what ails ya, OM.

The rest of the day you'll be singing, "Washington, Washing-tun..."

Anonymous said...

Furious, you're really gonna spread the word on that mo fo, aren't you?

MY favorite line was the 6' 20" line.

InanimateCarbonRod said...

Good God, was Last American Virgin a depressing film. There I was a horny fifteen year old looking to see some naked ladies and instead I get a fable about abortion. And the loser doesn't even get the girl at the end of the movie! No wonder this nation embraced Revenge of the Nerds.

Anonymous said...

Horror show.

Dr. Milton von Fünkdoctorspock said...

1. The University of Michigan Marching Band - "Hail to the Victors"

10/10

2. The University of Michigan Marching Band - "Hail to the Victors"

10/10

3. The University of Michigan Marching Band - "Hail to the Victors"

10/10

4. The University of Michigan Marching Band - "Hail to the Victors"

10/10

5. The University of Michigan Marching Band - "Hail to the Victors"

10/10

6. The University of Michigan Marching Band - "Hail to the Victors"

10/10

7. The University of Michigan Marching Band - "Hail to the Victors"

10/10

8. The University of Michigan Marching Band - "Hail to the Victors"

10/10

9. The University of Michigan Marching Band - "Hail to the Victors"

10/10

10. The University of Michigan Marching Band - "Hail to the Victors"

10/10

Might as well have deleted everything else on ye olde music box this week. Football Armageddon earned this 100.

RIP, Bo. Lord knows I expected tears this weekend no matter what happened, but I sure as hell didn't expect them this soon.

Otto Man said...

Furious, as I said at your place, that clip is twelve kinds of awesome.

iRod, my condolences on your movie nightmare. Imagine how I felt when I snuck into the R-rated "Barton Fink."

Otto Man said...

My condolences, Milty. On the brightside, the Wolverines are going to be looking for payback against the Buckeyes. Bring it!

George said...

My problem with the Lou Rawls is I hear it coming out of an AM radio and I'm off to 8th grade, and who the hell wants to relive that.

Studiodave said...

When did the pactice of naming the instruments on an album disappear? I think we need this back.

Gun and Roses "Chinese Democracy" - Guitars, Drums, Bass.

K-Fed "Playing With Fire" - _______, ________

Anonymous said...

Oooooooh that Lou Rawls song...just, wow. Ima hafta dl that one. Because I'm not gonna listen to some crappy 'oldies' radio on the faint chance that they will play it. Also, agree on the Thom Yorke. Underwhelming is the exact word I've been searching for to describe it.

Yes, here I am. One day late this time. So here's my Saturday R10. In case anyone's still here. Hope smitty's family is over the yakking. And I am sorry that Dr. Miltie has suffered football Armageddon

1. Royal Cafe--American Music Club--I dunno why I like these guys, but I do. This song is not as good as 'Crabwalk,' in which they all sound as drunk as the guy in the song, but it's pretty good. 8/10

2. Fireworks--System Kid--Great piano-based song about sex. What's not to like? I love System Kid. 9/10

3. Maculele--Nazare Pereira--I love Brasilian music! This is more a chant than a samba, still great. 10/10

4. Hear My Laughter--Rachael Cantu--Not as good as 'Saturday' but still, it's Rachael. 8/10

5. So Says I--The Shins--I've been on a Shins kick lately, this is super--Ooo-OOOO-ooo-oo! 10/10

6. Radio, Radio--Elvis Costello & The Attractions--Elvis is a god, and I am his acolyte. Deal. 10/10

7. O Pallanhaare--Lata Mangeshkar/Udit Narayan--From my favorite Bollywood flick, Lagaan, this one is set in a religious scene, so it's not one of the kick-ass songs though. 7/10

8. Personal Jesus--Depeche Mode--Coincidence? I think not. 9/10

9. Jumpin' the 88s--Silvan Zingg--Bitchin' Boogie Woogie from an insanely good Swiss dude. 9/10

10. Greenman--XTC--I'm getting a religious vibe off of this R10, maybe I need to go make an offering or something...I know! I'll give Ganesh Bengal Cat some milk. Even XTC's bad songs are worthwhile, and this is not one of those, this is outrageously, amazingly good. 10/10

Hmmm. 9.0. If I were not an atheist, I would say this is the work of some god. I guess I'll just have to thank random chance that none of the embarrassing songs came up in this shuffle. No, I'm not going to tell you what they are, but trust me, someday soon, there is humiliation in store for me on a FR10 somewhere.