Wednesday, November 02, 2005

I Love the Aughties

For those of you who enjoy the campy nostalgia shows that VH1 churns out every half hour -- ranging from the nanosecond navel-gazing of "Best Week Ever" to the more somber tones of "I Love the '80s" -- I'm happy to offer this sneak preview of the forthcoming retrospective on our own peaceful times, "I Love the Aughties":
Montage of photographs of Lynndie England posing with humiliated Iraqi prisoners. Newsman voice-over: “Shocking images of alleged abuse of detained Iraqis at the Abu Ghraib prison have come to light…”

Hal Sparks: Where I come from, arranging a bunch of naked guys into a pyramid at gunpoint isn’t called abuse. It’s called pledge week!

Michael Ian Black: Now, there are some who would argue that stripping a man, placing a sandbag on his head, and attaching electrodes to his naked body is a sick, egregious violation of the Geneva Conventions. Not me, however. Sandbags? Forced striptease? Jumper cables hooked to my ’nads?… Me likey.
There's more, so if you're nostalgic about the golden era of the Bush administration's greatest hits, be sure to read the whole thing.

No comments: