Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Leg 'er down 'n smack 'em yak 'em

In these terrorized times, evesdropping is not just a right. It's a responsibility of every good citizen. So keep a sharp ear out when you're in an international airport. Because these serve as the modern crossroads for many different cultures and nationalities, you may encounter some people who aren't speaking American. If you do, don't hesitate to report them as a threat.
A 32-year-old man speaking Tamil and some English about a sporting rivalry was questioned at Sea-Tac Airport and missed his flight Saturday because at least one person thought he was suspicious.

The Port of Seattle dispatched its police officers to investigate the case, which occurred Saturday around noon, said Bob Parker, airport spokesman. The Chicago man was preparing to board an American Airlines flight to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.

The man was speaking Tamil, a language largely used in India, Sri Lanka and Singapore, on his cell phone at the departure gate and on the aircraft. An off-duty airline employee heard the conversation and informed the flight crew.

13 comments:

Noah said...

I read the rest of the article. It is just sad. He had to promise he wouldn't speak a foreign language on the phone in an airport anymore???

We are so sad.

Otto Man said...

If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, then it should be good enough for anyone!

Anonymous said...

Otto, you America-hating bastige, you! Jesus didn't speak English, he spoke American.

If those damn Ay-rabs can't learn to stop talkin Mexican, they shouldn't be allowed in airports. Except to go back to Eye-rock or France or wherever it is they come from.

America: love it or . . . you're either with us or . . . God Bless America!

Mr Furious said...

I had to read that headline aloud (in my head) twice before I placed it... hilarious.

"Excuse me, stewardess...I speak jive."

Anonymous said...

Good call, Furious. I missed that one.

{Embarrassingly slinking into the corner to wear the pop culture dunce cap}

Thrillhous said...

Don't worry, Mike. I never get any of the headline references. I figure they're all about Monty Python.

Somehow I never thought "if it's brown, flush it down" would become our airport security policy.

Otto Man said...

"Cutty said he can't hang."
"Whassamatter, homey, my momma didn't raise no dummies. I dug his rap."

Otto Man said...

Dammit, I just realized I blew that quote. Move over, Mike. I'm joining you in the corner.

Mr Furious said...

I know you got this part right...

"my momma didn't raise no dummies. I dug his rap."

If I'm wrong too, i'll see you guys in the corner. We can pass the hat around.

Anonymous said...

From IMBD:

Jive Lady: Jus' hang loose, blood. She gonna catch ya up on da' rebound on da' med side.
Second Jive Dude: What it is, big mama? My mama no raise no dummies. I dug her rap!
Jive Lady: Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da' help!
First Jive Dude: Say 'e can't hang, say seven up!
Jive Lady: Jive ass dude don't got no brains anyhow! Hmmph!

I'll give you the neighborhood play there, Furious (any pun re anyone's blog name, unintentional, I assure you).

But I think I have to defer to Otto. If either of you need the cap, I'll be poking around at IMDB.

Otto Man said...

I got the line right, but in my mind had it coming from -- instead of spoken to -- the Jive Lady. Boo.

Anonymous said...

Memory's a funny thing.

ORF said...

I actually thot the headline was from Pootie Tang. So there's that.