My apologies to my multitudes of fans in being so quiet the last several days, but Studiodave was crippled by a nasty flu bug. I did make several cryptic notes on my bedside table that I wanted to pass on. Please note that I was heavily under the influence of Nyquil and there is a Lewis Carroll quality to some of them.
(1) Nancy Grace - I realized what bothers me about here, she is like the suburban housewife who is bitter about her own life but knows how everyone else should run theirs. Her insights into the "SWF meets Weekend at Bernie’s" in Aruba are criminally mundane and embarrassing.
(2) Evangelism on TV - Back in the good ole days (90's), TV evangelists had an offer - send us money and we will pray to make you (a) loved, (b) get better, (c) get into heaven. Now, there is a decidedly crusade-like tone where the money is to be spent in Washington to save the nation. Now, I know these folks will go where the money is - but if you are not even going to talk about the soul, is this evangelism? Gone are the days when the pink haired lady asked for money to launch a satellite to reach Africans with Christ’s word.
(3) Atlanta Braves - This team has a lot of rookies and is a lot of fun to watch. Look for the Braves to lose today so take the Expo's/Nats (and the over if you're feeling gutsy).
(4) Tony Blair - While up at 4am, I caught his live press conference. The difference between the press there and the questions they get to ask is amazing. I found Blair a little annoying like a British prep school boy. I didn't find his tough talk particularly convincing.
(5) Rumsfeld's "Surprise Visit" to Iraq - I love the phrasing "surprise visit," like its Mr. T showing up on Different Strokes. If you can't announce it because every gun will be pointing at the sky on your planes approach, I don't think that constitutes a "surprise."
(6) Troop withdrawal in early 2006 - somehow this does not feel anything like victory or a transfer of responsibility. But with regiments going over for a 3rd tour of duty, no stomach to institute a draft, no plan to fund the war - what else can you do?
(7) Boy Scout Troop Jamboree - Be prepared? This thing sounds more like Little Big Horn.