Saturday, August 26, 2006

Sen. Felix Allen Cuts and Runs -- from a Guy in a Macacca Suit?

Senator Felix has always billed himself as Badass in Chief. He rides horses, he throws footballs, he eats red meat (especially filet mignon or other frenchly prepared boeuf). A few years back, at a republican event, he bravely incited the crowd with "Let’s enjoy knocking their [democrats] soft teeth down their whiny throats." Yep, badass all around.

So I was a bit surprised to read, via Kos, that Felix cut and run from his own campaign events in Staunton, a small town in western VA (a Felix stronghold):

STAUNTON — Sen. George Allen gave the slip to protesters, supporters and city officials today, bypassing an afternoon stop in downtown Staunton for an unannounced lunch break at a local drive-in restaurant.

The last-minute change in plans came minutes after a man identifying himself as a University of Virginia law school student broke in front of reporters at an event at Staunton’s Holiday Inn, forcefully asking the senator, “Have you ever used the word n-----?”

He also questioned why Allen, a one-term Republican senator and former governor, had once displayed a noose in his office.

That's right, the guy who enjoys knocking the soft teeth of dems down their whiny throats cut and run from a soft-toothed, whiny-throated dem. A freakin' law school student, at that.

Okay, that's not fair. The soft-toothed whiny fellow was only part of the horrific menace Felix faced. He also had to contend with the primal, Jungian fear shared by all humans, a nearly unmentionable terror that would make Atilla the Hun mess his pants, or whatever it is that Huns wore: a guy dressed up as a monkey. And not just any monkey, a sandal-wearing one. Oh, how many H.P. Lovecraft tales ended with this dread menace rising from the ochre, blasting the sanity of all who gaze on it's baleful furryness and comfortable footwear?

I guess it's really no surprise, then, that Felix turned tail and scurried off to the hide in the comforting bosom of a French fry joint, just like he did for the entire Vietnam war (actually, he spent the war heroically protecting dude ranches in Nevada). I just hope his campaign staff knows the Heimlich manuver, cuz I think he's about to choke on his own soft teeth.

12 comments:

Thrillhous said...

By the way, Staunton is a lovely little town, birthplace of the original Dubya, Woody Wilson.

If you have to drive I-81 in VA for any reason, think about stopping here for food or sight seeing.

Thus ends today's Travel Channel segment.

teh l4m3 said...

"...actually, he spent the war heroically protecting dude ranches in Nevada..."

Aw Felix, I wish I could quit you...

Oh, wait, I can!

Anonymous said...

The summer when I was 12, my family stopped in Staunton for lunch during a long road trip. We ended up going to a nice park where bunch of beautifully restored antique autos were being shown. We spent a couple of enjoyable hours there. I took quite a few pictures, which I still have.

It's good to hear it's still a very nice place, as it was back then.

Anonymous said...

Shame on you all for thinking the worst of Allen, just because he gave in to an uncontrollable urge to show appreciation to the French for upping the size of the peacekeeping force it will send to Lebanon.

I'm sure Allen just wanted to send that message by eating some french fries and also demonstrate that it's OK to eat them in a fast-food joint where God knows who or what might sit down next to you.

What a guy.

Anonymous said...

Felix turned tail and scurried off to the hide in the comforting bosom of a French fry joint

Freedom Fries for Felix, feeling far from frisky.

Thrillhous said...

I tell ya, Felix is just the gift that keeps on giving.

Hope you guys got to go to a couple of the awesome caves on 81, SWA. Sure, you've got Luray, but the smaller ones are nice too, mainly cuz there's a lot fewer people.

I guess I shouldn't harp on Allen's Vietnam service too much. I mean, not once during the whole war did a single dude ranch succumb to the red menace. The current president had similar success protecting the skies of Texas, so maybe a Felix run for prez makes some sense.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the Luray caverns; I had forgotten that part. It was a choice thing: see the caverns or the cars. I think my folks' plan had been to see the caverns, but I wanted to see and take pictures of those incredible cars, so they decided we would do that instead.

Otto Man said...

Man, something's up with Blogger and Firefox lately. I can't see the new posts here until I add a new one myself. I missed all the Felix fun!

Anonymous said...

something's up with Blogger and Firefox lately. I can't see the new posts here until I add a new one myself.

I run Firefox & I've had the same problem. But it's cool when I hit refresh.

Thrillhous said...

Yeah, refresh does the trick for me.

I use netscape and ffx, have the same problem w/ both, so it must be a mozilla issue.

Otto Man said...

Reloading the page does nothing for me. Stupid internets.

Anonymous said...

The tubes must be clogged.