Saturday, August 06, 2005

Award Tour

We all know the Bush administration likes to give honors to people who screw up. George "Slam Dunk" Tenet and Paul "Boondoggle" Bremer were each given the Presidential Medal of Freedom for their botched handling of Iraq. Condi Rice was rewarded for ignoring the Bin Laden threat by being kicked upstairs to Secretary of State, and John Bolton proved that if you're a big enough screw-up, the UN ambassadorship can be yours.

Given this track record, I guess we shouldn't be surprised at this development:
A spokesman for the President's Council on Service and Civic Participation said that neither the council nor Bush had any way of knowing that the person they were honoring was a condemned multiple murderer.

Outstanding. I'm starting to wonder just what unspeakable act Supreme Court nominee John Roberts has committed. For an honor like that, it's got to be gruesome.

(Courtesy of the non-evil Roger Ailes)

4 comments:

Thrillhous said...

Well, we know Roberts committed the horrible crime of helping gay people. Does that count?

That quote made me think of a Homer line:

"Let me be clear. I thought the cop was a prostitute."

Yossarian said...

Thanks to Academy award winning actor Jammie Foxx, even I have heard of convicted killer Stan "Tookie" Williams ( http://imdb.com/title/tt0388367/)

The worst part of that story ,in my opinin, isn't the pattern of awarding criminals (they are Republicans and they can't help that) - it's how quickly they shift the blame on churches, schools, and civic groups. How do they sleep at night?

Otto Man said...

How do they sleep at night?

Oxycontin, Xanax, booze. And I hear Cheney had his conscience surgically removed.

Otto Man said...

I say call off the dogs and save the ammo for when the reps truly fuck up (and you know they will).

I'm not saying this is horrible or anything. Just liked the phrasing of that paragraph -- sounded off.