Monday, January 15, 2007

Curmudgeon alert

75% of the LLatPoN gang turns 35 this week (all the twice-yearly posters, Otto Man is able to post so much because of his youth -- and the fact his stamina hasn't been dulled by needy children). I just finished Douglas Adams' Salmon of Doubt and found this quote to be timely and apt.
Anything that is in the world when you're born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
Anything that's invented between when you're fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

5 comments:

Thrillhous said...

Yeah, happy birthday, old guys.

That Douglas Adams quote is perfect. I may have to frame it.

Otto Man said...

Happy birthday, geezers. Being six months younger than all of you, I just can't understand your generation.

Studiodave said...

This town smells like mustard.

Mr Furious said...

That quote IS great.

Reminds me I still need to compose the "Greatest Inventions of My Lifetime" post I've been meaning to get to.

Oh, and I still feel thirty five...

Anonymous said...

Dunno. I embraced personal computing when I was three years beyond the alleged dropoff age. And that was when embracing personal computing typically meant messing with a Commodore Vic 20 unless you were wealthy, had access to a college computer or were in the computing industry.

In any case, happy birthday and many happy returns.

BTW, do you suppose they would put birthday candles on a plate of nachos if asked?