Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A Question for Music Junkies, If Any

Do any of you people know how to find out how many copies an album has sold? In particular, I'm trying to find out how many copies of Disney's Favorite Children's Songs (vol. 1 to 4) were sold. I've looked around on RIAA and Billboard and such, but not luck.



Mrs. Thrillhous insisted we buy these albums, and since she'd just done the whole 9 months of carrying the kid, I couldn't say no. I was expecting a bunch of lame Mickey and Goofy crap, but it's actually really good. A guy named Larry Groce does all the songs; he's like a poor man's James Taylor, and I'm pretty poor. If the name sounds familiar, he had a hit in 1976 called "Junk Food Junkie."



Larry's entry on Wikipedia is pretty weak - no mention at all of his Disney work. I'm thinking Disney sold approximately 3 billion copies of the children's songs, but I'd like to have some evidence before I go off on Wiki.

6 comments:

Otto Man said...

Being an insufferable music snob, I recoil from all wildly popular music and thus can't help you track it. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Here's something that might give you a line on what you're looking for, or maybe a contact. From the Disney Web site:

2005 Fact Book
The Walt Disney Company's Fact Book is an annual publication that profiles each of the company's key business segments and financial performance during the past fiscal year.


Click here to view the 2005 Fact Book.

This document is also available in PDF format. Right-click here and select the
"Save Target As..." option to save the PDF file to your desktop, or
click here to open the PDF file directly.


Or, you could ask their press relations office for help. Maybe ask who in marketing or the audio division would have that info, and how you could contact the them.

http://corporate.disney.go.com/news/contact_press.html

Hope this helps

Mike said...

OM -

Being an insufferable music snob, I recoil from all wildly popular music and thus can't help you track it.

You judge too soon. This Disney album includes a cut by Big Mama Thornton called "Pluto & Goofy Ain't Nothin' But Hound Dogs Neither," and there's a smoking funk number featuring Bootsey & Maceo called, "Bounce To The Ounce In Sleeping Beauty's Booty."

I think it's safe for you to check out.

Thrillhous said...

THanks SWA. Mike and Otto, you sicken me.

Otto Man said...

What else is new?

Mrs_Thrillhous said...

I wonder how my parents felt about their little girls singing "what do you do with a drunken sailor" and "you are lost and gone forever / dreadful sorry clementine." Good times. Life was so much simpler in the 70's. I mean, 80's. I was a kid in the 80's.